Sunday 14 November 2010

I think I failed!!!

Unusually, I went in to the city for church today. A friend is "director of music" for a CBD Uniting Church and today they wove their liturgy around the music of his jazz trio. The music was fantastic - and what was most delightful was to see the foot-tapping and sheer joy on the faces of old people as they sang traditional hymns with a swing.

However, as we were going into the church via a wide stepped entry from the street front, I noticed a young man sitting on the steps beside a sign that said "homeless, anything you can spare will help". I didn't stop to see what his story was. I didn't offer him a feed from what we would all be eating soon for morning tea. But then neither did any of the locals.

I have been haunted by this for a few hours - sadly, I am sure this will pass - but it is sad to think of all those good church-people walking right past someone who is asking for help. He wasn't threatening in any way. He wasn't particularly grubby or noisy. But we, none of us, could take a little detour on our way to church and see what was his story. I think Jesus said something about this once in a parable - "When did we see you hungry or thirsty..."

No comments:

Post a Comment